Can anyone sort me out with a modchip?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
cookie
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Can anyone sort me out with a modchip?

Post by cookie » July 14th, 2012, 8:19 pm

A few years ago I picked up a chip programmer and some blank chips (don't have the part number to hand, I believe they were the correct ones), I tried out various .BIN files and diagrams from the internet and had little success. One chip worked (albeit erratically) for a short time and then the laser promptly died, I attribute this to the chip.

Would someone with more experience and knowledge be able to provide me with a working stealth chip for say, an SCPH-5502, along with installation diagrams? I'll cover costs via paypal.

Thanks!

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 14th, 2012, 8:32 pm

I can sell you one for $15 (free postage anywhere in the world).

The chips look like this, and can be easily soldered in.
A dab of hot glue is good to hold the PCB in place.
Don't use electrical tape because the adhesive on the tape destroys the PSX PCB.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

cookie
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by cookie » July 14th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Excellent! Any reduction on that for donators? ;)

Jokes, I'll PM you for the details.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 14th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Haha, nah im sorry. You get a discount off of PSIO however :P

Thanks. I will get it shipped ASAP for you.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

cookie
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by cookie » July 19th, 2012, 10:04 am

Just an update if anyone's interested, I am short on cash so decided to dig out the old chip programmer (this one http://www.nbgelin.com/usba.htm ) and found a blank 12c508a in the same box. Performed the mod on my recently acquired SCPH-5502 (charity shop, £5). Swapped out the green power LED for a bright blue one too for good measure :).

Carefully read up and then followed this guide http://psx-scene.com/forums/f10/psx-diy ... post797427 using the attached M3 HEX files only the nbglin driver and software instead. Google image searched for an M3 diagram for PU-18.

The damn thing works! Pretty chuffed. Lifted a few pads with my crappy iron but they stuck down again no problem. It's booting everything I've thrown at it, hell of a lot better than using the cheat-cartridge swap solution and I get to see the good old sony intro screen again now.

I'd still recommend buying a pre-programmed chip if you don't already have the kit, though. I wasted a lot of time, chips and a playstation last time I tried this. Just got lucky tonight.

edit Looking at shadow's diagram again it's the exact same wire configuration. Must be the same hex. :)