SCPH-1002 - New laser lens questions

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
terrywrist
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Motto: Fooooooox!!!
Want to Find: Answers
Looking to: Ask questions

SCPH-1002 - New laser lens questions

Post by terrywrist » August 27th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to repair my old PlayStation 1 SCPH-1002, specifically the optical drive which fails to read discs. I've done my homework and know that I need a new KSM-440 laser lens (which I've sourced on eBay), however I'm not sure which variant I need: the KSM-440 ACM, AEM or BAM.

I understand the BAM is designed for the PSone and addresses all the faults in the previous iterations. All that needs to be done is replace the face plate of the BAM with the face plate on the original laser lens in order for the new drive to fit into the console. The problem is that, apparently, the ribbon cable may be too short for the SCPH-1002, and I might need to adjust or recalibrate the drive too. I have no skills or tools for adjusting voltages and so on.

Basically, is it safe to get the BAM? If not, should I get the ACM or AEM and are they compatible on SCPH-1002?

Cheers in advance.
"A Hind D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?"

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Re: SCPH-1002 - New laser lens questions

Post by likeabaus » August 27th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Honestly all the drives on the larger model psx's are interchangeable without any sort of modifications. I would recommend picking up a laser specficially for the fatter models (doesn't matter which one) and just plugging it in and it should work just fine. Avoid the hassle of trying to mod the slim on to get it to fit properly.
Buy and sell Bitcoins:
https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=rkv4

Xan
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Xan » August 27th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Depending on whether you are trying to play original or burned copies, I'd look into one of these cheap Chinese clones. I used one of them to replace a nearly dead 5552 drive and to my surprise it performs just like an original drive, regardless of disc.

The only downside that I found is that it takes much more force to push the disc down, which can cause the spindle getting stuck until pulled up manually... not sure if that's the case on all Chinese units, but for that reason I mainly just use that system with originals that are scratched up to hell anyway or burned discs.

terrywrist
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Motto: Fooooooox!!!
Want to Find: Answers
Looking to: Ask questions

Post by terrywrist » August 28th, 2016, 1:20 am

Thanks likeabaus and Xan.

@likeabaus
I was thinking that too. It makes sense to go with the latter A*M units because they're designed for the phat consoles. However...

@Xan
Yeah, play original discs. I'm looking at the cheap Chinese non-branded ones on eBay. Looks like I'll have to pick up a BAM unit.

There are only four models available that ship to Australia (I know!), three of them BAM and the other AEM. The latter I won't pick up because of the following warning: "IMPORTANT: you need to de-solder the protective static point before installation." I can't do that. lol
"A Hind D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?"

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » August 28th, 2016, 2:30 am

Ya that's how new laser's typically come. The points serve as a ground to immediately discharge any static buildup during shipment. If you're not comfortable desoldering then get a refurbished one pulled from an existing console
Buy and sell Bitcoins:
https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=rkv4