Paging

General Programming help in C, C++ or ASM, Compiling / Debugging, and R3000A Central Processing Unit (CPU) information
Tylerpsx
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
Motto: You can do it if you know how
PlayStation Model: 5501

Paging

Post by Tylerpsx » November 21st, 2022, 5:51 am

Is there any documentation on how to do paging on psx systems like how they did paging for crash 1

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » November 23rd, 2022, 1:03 am

What are you talking about? Web pages, Memory pages, Texture pages? And what is a crash 1 paging?

Tylerpsx
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Tylerpsx » January 8th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Considering your an elite programmer I’m suppressed you don’t know what paging spelled p a g I n g
Don’t be an asshole I’m new to this

In x86 architecture paging is when you take part of your hard-drive or mass storage in this case they did in crash bandicoot and uses it as a memory storage device so you can use more memory than the ram is in what’s known as virtual paging I know this because I used to do this when I worked at Microsoft working on the damn os’s windows 7 remember that shit I helped create that so I might be knew to ps1 architecture but I’ve got almost 20 years of bare metal c and probably more in programming languages you don’t even know
So I was trying to be respectful but If your going to be an asshole I’ll look at the microchips and engineer my own code for it thanks

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 8th, 2023, 11:04 pm

Please don't talk to other members in that tone. NO$CASH was only trying to help understand your question. I assume by 'crash 1 paging' you mean the read-ahead data buffer. Basically they read data into a pool ahead of the players progress on the screen so there was no pausing and waiting for more of the level to load. It was instead loading chunks of data dynamically (which was very unique on the PlayStation 1 at the time and unheard of).
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Tylerpsx
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Tylerpsx » January 9th, 2023, 5:10 am

Thank you I aperciate the help I’m sorry for being an ass I’m used to talking to programmers that are high and mighty and that just set me off hobby programming and doing it for a multi billion dollar company adds a totally different level of stress especially when you don’t know how to do somthing won’t happen again. basically your saying that the cd reads data off a disc plops it into allocation and whatever was previous gets destroyed from memory based where the character is at that point similer to
Vmas in x86 (the vmas is a virtual memory access chip system in x86 that memory of the data on disc via pages in this case game objects and dynamically puts them in memory and save space by getting rid of the old crap)

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » January 9th, 2023, 9:28 am

No, Shadow didn't say that disc "read-ahead" is similar to "a virtual memory access chip system". Your colleagues were perhaps too polite to tell you when you made such far-fetched comparisions.

About your original question: The PSX hardware doesn't support virtual memory, so it seemed more likely that you were asking for something like using texture pages, or displaying multi-page text documents, or the like.

inc^lightforce
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » January 11th, 2023, 2:41 am

If i'm correct, the complete Source Code by Crash Bandicoot was released or complete documented by Naughty Dog ?
Try to Look for it.