PSXSERIAL USB Cables

Buy, sell and trade PlayStation 1 related software and/or hardware
Forum rules
We do not take any responsibility for what you buy, sell or trade in this forum. You may however report suspicious users and scammers.

Only PlayStation 1 based equipment may be bought, sold and traded here.

Please bump topics only every 14 days (2 weeks) otherwise we will lock the topic.

When listing an item for sale, you must include in each photo alongside the item your name/handle on physical media (paper, cardboard sign, mobile phone displaying it, etc).

You may only list items for sale when your post count is greater than 5 or if you are a verified user.
danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

PSXSERIAL USB Cables

Post by danhans42 » August 27th, 2017, 11:52 pm

I have been selling these for quite a few years from my own website, which I haven't updated in years.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a PSXSERIAL USB cable give me shout.

They are priced at £12.50 + Shipping.

They are approximately 75cm in length (will vary), and use the Silicon Labs CP210x series UART bridge, which is supported on all modern operating systems (including Linux). They are NOT compatible with SIOCONS!

Shipped from UK, and all are fully tested with PSXSERIAL before despatch. Can post worldwide (shipping is usually around £4).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crimmy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Crimmy » September 11th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Do you still sell it? Is it new or second-handed?
“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” - CRGB m-Tej apk

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by Xavi92 » September 17th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I would like to add these cables are also compatible with my open-source alternative to PSXSERIAL, PSXSerial and OpenSend, which have additional features over PSXSERIAL such as dual GUI/CLI, loading images/sound/data after PSX-EXE has been uploaded, etc. :)
More information: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 223#p13223

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » September 19th, 2017, 4:29 am

Crimmy wrote:Do you still sell it? Is it new or second-handed?
Yes, I still have for sale. They are made by myself using new parts.

Thanks

RomikB
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by RomikB » June 3rd, 2018, 10:56 pm

Is any cables available for sell?

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » June 5th, 2018, 11:33 am

If you fancy using a soldering iron, you can just buy a 3.3v TTL CH340 module and solder 3 wires to the PlayStation's motherboard for Tx, Rx and Ground. If you don't want mod your console you can cannibalize a serial I/O port connector from a dead PlayStation and use a link cable to connect it to your console.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » July 7th, 2018, 6:08 pm

RomikB wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 10:56 pm Is any cables available for sell?
Hi,

I do still have cables for sale.

Depends where you are located, there are a few places I will not ship to (South America, Russia and some Middle Eastern countries).

If not, like Lameguy said, you can build one very easily. A cheap USB UART is around $3 USD and then just chop up a link cable (probably around $5 to $10) and off you go, very very easy to do.

Thanks

mrhaboobi
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by mrhaboobi » October 10th, 2018, 1:06 pm

so these dont work with sicons. can they work with a yaroze? Or do i need other software. do you have a link to your dev set up and what you use for what? thanks

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 16th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Hi,

No they do not work with the Yaroze tools - the cable works with all the other tools (psxserial and shendo's tools etc)

This requires the handshaking lines connecting up (RTS/CTS/DTR/DSR) and the signal inverting. I do have one of these cables but I use this myself so its not for sale. They cost more to make becuase you need to use a *genuine* FTDI chip and change the eeprom flags to invert the handshaking lines.

My setup is basically in dosbox - I use the Yaroze tools installed in DOSbox and then map COM1 through to the USB serial and thats basically it.

When I use PsyQ - I use an Xplorer cartridge that is connected via USB (using Gregs beta XplorerUSB).

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » October 23rd, 2018, 8:21 pm

how much more?
I would be interested in a Net Yaroze compatible cable

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 24th, 2018, 12:43 am

Hi,

Basically its down to the cost of a "Genuine" FTDI232 - price would probably be around double the price.

You can achieve the same by using another UART and something to invert the handshaking signals such as some 7400 series logic - but this is extra work and more cost so the price basically ends up the same. I wrote a guide on here how to do it yourself - its actually very easy to do...

You just need a **GENUINE** FTDI module with all handshaking signals (ring indicator isnt needed), half a PSX link cable and the FTDIprog software. In FTDIprog set the eeprom settings to invert RTS/CTS/DSR/DTR and thats it.

Then just set up in dosbox and thats everything done.

I havent ever bothered doing this cable or stocking it because in 7 years I have been asked 3 times, whereas I have sold approximately 50 of the standard cables. The cost is much more and not many people seem that interested in using the old Yaroze tools - shame really as I actually learnt C on the Yaroze SDK back in in '98.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » October 24th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info!
That's fare enough, and not a bad price.
I might give it a try as a DIY project.
danhans42 wrote: October 24th, 2018, 12:43 am the old Yaroze tools - shame really as I actually learnt C on the Yaroze SDK back in in '98.
Yeah, it's a great little system to understand C, 2D and basic 3D for sure!

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 25th, 2018, 2:07 am

no problem. I did write a guide on here. If you struggle following it let me know I will help you build one then edit the guide.

The hardest part of the whole build is just working out which pin in the connector belongs to which colour wire in the cable assembly. I was quite lucky, I managed to buy a lot of the cables in bulk from the same supplier - although my supplies are nearly out.

Abelliqueux
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: wannabee PSX dev
Motto: nope, bicycle
PlayStation Model: 7502/5502

Post by Abelliqueux » May 14th, 2020, 5:00 am

Hi,

After searching through the forum, I didn't find any tutorial on how to hack such a cable myself. Sorry if this post is redundant, I hope I did n't miss an obvious tutorial thread ...

So I do have some infos, but I'd like a confirmation they are correct...

I have a SCPH-7502 and a cart I successfully flashed to Unirom V8 (thanks sickle !). (The psx is modchipped but I don't think this is relevant ?)
  • 1 . With this cable, I should be able to run PSXSERIAL on my pc with the PSX running on Unirom from the cart, and upload psx executables directly to the RAM, is that correct ?
    Yes.
  • 2 . To make this cable, I need half a Sony Link scph-1040 cable or equivalent and a 3.3V UART CH340 ( like this one ? ) +level converter then connect Rx to pin 1, Tx to pin 4 and GND to pin 7 of the cable ( respectively pins 5, 8 and 2 if I were to solder directly on the PSX motherboard ).
    According to jman

Hardware:
    - USB to RS232 CH340 converter with cable pins + level converter OR FTDI only (see link in question 3).
    - PS serial link cable
    - soldering tool and steady hand :-)

Connection
    Three wires only
    TX -> TX
    RX -> RX
    GND -> GND

software
    PSXSERIAL 1.2

In my application
    Include <libsio.h> and invoke AddSIO() to have echoing back of printf()
    http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... =349#p2705
  • 3 . There is another type of cable that's compatible with NetYaroze and needs an FTDI232, which you can find how to build here : http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1071. This is obviously not the same kind of cable. It is only useful if you're interrested in using NetYaroze/SIOCONS.
Yes.

Again, sorry for bumping an old post, with questions regarding maybe redundant subjects, but I want to be sure I get all this right.

If there are some posts you think I should read to get me update about all the differences between cables, tools, etc. please share it !

Thanks for any info / confirmations of the points above !

EDIT: Answered most of my questions, as I found this post (http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497). DUH!
Hardware : 5552 + Xstation, 7502 + Psnee Attiny85, 9002, 102, ftdi cable + unirom carts
https://wiki.arthus.net - https://psx.arthus.net

aeromaxx
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by aeromaxx » July 15th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Extremely late to the party, and also sorry for resurrecting a really old thread, would anyone happen to know where I could get one of these already premade for me?

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » August 17th, 2020, 4:26 am

aeromaxx wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:06 pm Extremely late to the party, and also sorry for resurrecting a really old thread, would anyone happen to know where I could get one of these already premade for me?
Try asking dahans42 if he has any left - he was selling them at one point.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » August 25th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Thanks @trimesh.

I think I still have one left, they are roughly as pictured in the first post. I just go for cheap and functional hence the heatshrink approach.

Drop me a DM on here, or via my page (see link in my signature). Its more expensive than when I first started doing them. Looking at around £19.50 posted worldwide (most countries).