How do I join the PSXDEV IRC Channel to chat with members?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

How do I join the PSXDEV IRC Channel to chat with members?

Post by Shadow » January 25th, 2012, 2:46 am

The one and only original #PSXDEV IRC Channel on EFnet
is back up and running as of 2012 and is still alive in 2019.

How to chat with the users
We have an Internet Relay Chat channel on the EFNET server(s) called #psxdev.
It is the very same channel that was running back in the 90's, which was filled with hackers and modders obsessed with the PlayStation 1. You will even see some old documents legendary people wrote that contain the EFnet #psxdev reference.

What is IRC?
Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a protocol for real-time Internet chat that was created in 1988. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private messages as well as chat and data transfer. Client software is available for every major operating system that supports Internet access.

As a note...
Don't ask stupid questions such as, "i ned help with the psyq sdk. how i can make games?" or "can anyone help me, im trying to understand psyq but i cant find good documentation". Also, don't leave 10 minutes after you have asked your question. It's a live chat. No one has been waiting around all day to answer your question when you join the channel at random. Be patient and stay idle until someone answers you. Do not constantly PM a member asking for help and then leave. If you've asked your question and you still didn't get a reply after 3 or so days, quit, and you can check back every few days afterwards here to see what's been discussed recently.

Anyway, how do I use IRC?
Simply download a client and connect to the server and channel below in blue. It is really simple.
For Windows, we recommend mIRC, XChat or Irssi.
For Mac and UNIX based OS's, we recommend Irssi.

I dont want to install a client
If you do not want to download and install a client, you may join a web browser based chat client by going here http://chat.efnet.org/. Type in your nickname and from the channel drop down list, select 'other' while then typing in the pop up menu '#psxdev' (without the quotes) and clicking lastly on 'Login'.

If you are using Firefox, you can install an IRC add-on for it called 'ChatZilla'.
If you are on Windows 98, you can use Microsoft Chat.

Okay, so what is the server address and channel name?
Server: EFNET (irc.eversible.com/6667)
Channel: #psxdev

I joined the room and it is empty!
This usually happens because the client has joined a server which is not actually synced with the server we are currently in, but more so that the server you joined isn't actually an EFnet resided server. To fix it, disconnect from the server you are currently in, and connect manually to irc.eversible.com on port 6667 (IE: simply type '/server irc.eversible.com' without the quotes). Then, join the room #psxdev by typing '/join #psxdev'.

Some basic commands:
/me <message> [talk in first person] (EG: /me says hello -> "<username> says hello").
/msg <name> <message> [message someone privately]
/dialog <name> [open a private chat session]
/whois <name> [performs an IP whois lookup]
/nick <name> [change your nickname]
/server <ip> [connect to a server] (IE: to connect to the server, type '/server irc.eversible.com/6667')
/join <channel> [connect to a channel] (IE: to connect to the psxdev channel, type '/join #psxdev')
/away [set your status to away]
/quit [exit]
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

masterg0r0
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Modder and Hobbyist Developer
Motto: Everything is hackable 100%!
PlayStation Model: 1002+7502

Post by masterg0r0 » November 25th, 2022, 10:20 am

I don't see why you would want to use IRC in 2022.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 25th, 2022, 8:38 pm

masterg0r0 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:20 am I don't see why you would want to use IRC in 2022.
It's where literally all the action for the PlayStation 1 took place in the 90's and 2000's. Nowadays we have Discord which is a modern day replacement to IRC. It can also be used with operating systems like Windows 95/98 which can only run things like IRC so it was useful to have as a means of chatting with someone :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by Xavi92 » December 3rd, 2022, 11:20 am

wrote:I don't see why you would want to use IRC in 2022.
IRC is still popular in free software and hacking communities. Popular free software projects such as Linux, ffmpeg or git are hosted on Libera Chat, which is an IRC network that was created on 2021.
Shadow wrote:Nowadays we have Discord which is a modern day replacement to IRC.
As opposed to IRC, honestly speaking I do not like the fact Discord relies on the use of non-free software, as it displaces those users not willing to install non-free software on their machines.

Instead, XMPP and Matrix are open standards with several free software clients available that feel more like true modern-day replacements to IRC, compared to Discord.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » December 28th, 2022, 8:39 pm

Xavi92 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 11:20 am
... as it displaces those users not willing to install non-free software on their machines.
I haven't installed anything, I just use the web client, it runs fine... on some servers (that don't requires an email) you dont even need to register an account.

I think discord is one of the better "social" platforms.

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by Xavi92 » March 13th, 2023, 12:12 pm

gwald wrote:I haven't installed anything, I just use the web client, it runs fine...
A web browser still downloads and runs non-free JavaScript on the machine, which is still often undesirable for users in FOSS and hacker communities.
gwald wrote:I think discord is one of the better "social" platforms.
I politely disagree with your definition of "better" - Discord might be more popular, but it still poses a threat to user privacy and freedom. Hence the alternatives I suggested i.e., XMPP and Matrix.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » March 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm

Xavi92 wrote: March 13th, 2023, 12:12 pm
gwald wrote:I think discord is one of the better "social" platforms.
I politely disagree with your definition of "better" - Discord might be more popular, but it still poses a threat to user privacy and freedom. Hence the alternatives I suggested i.e., XMPP and Matrix.
Yes, I've just heard the news regarding discord mining users for AI programming, but that wasn't the case for the last 5+ years.
I'll look into what you suggest, thanks.