PS1 Sound Trouble

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Markus2015
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Markus2015 » October 24th, 2014, 8:20 pm

My friend has now a PS1 SCPH-1000 PU-7 Board. He said that the startsound comes up brilliant and long as it should. When he puts an audio CD in there, there is no music, just a cracking noise.

After we swapped a couple of different IC´s, we found out that the IC305 was broken down. After we swapped this one, the audio sound came back to normal.

AtroxAlpha
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by AtroxAlpha » August 13th, 2015, 5:57 am

Hey all,

I'm Andy from England. Just joined this forum because i have a bit of an issue.

I got all nostalgic and brought a PS1 (SCPH-5502) off ebay.

When it arrived i set it all up and turned it on. Upon boot it make this static like noise behind the start up sound. When games load that static sound goes away and plays as normal although at random points in game comes back.

I've done the basics, changed cables, changed TVs, changed audio inputs... any ideas? :?

https://youtu.be/hqzhIxIS1OM

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 13th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Is it that 'ticking' sound in the background?
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

MrLavisherMoot
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by MrLavisherMoot » August 27th, 2015, 1:33 am

I have a similar problem with my PlayStation. Mine is the original PAL SCPH-1002, bought in 1995, meaning it isn't quite as durable as later models (gj sony for placing the laser directly adjacent to the power supply).

But that's besides the point. While CD audio and general SPU sounds work just fine, XA/STR-format audio doesn't, and I haven't quite wrapped my head around why that's the case. I might post a video in the future showing this issue.

majorspawn
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by majorspawn » July 3rd, 2020, 3:06 pm

Shadow wrote: July 18th, 2014, 2:34 am Very interesting problem! I have never seen this before.
My diagnosis is that IC310 or possibly IC305 is causing the fault. Most likely a cold joint.

I would recommend resoldering these chips. You can also try pressing down slightly on IC310 (press in all corners) whilst Final Fantasy is playing the video to see if the audio comes back.

You need to balance the drive so it will spin freely and you will also need hold down the lid/door switch.
Use sticky tape for that.

If you're not into electronics and are worried about being shocked, it's very, very low and isolated voltage, but to be safe (considering the PSU is open) wear rubber soled shoes, keep one hand behind your back when pressing on IC310 and of course, keep your hands clear from the power supply. Unplug the figure-8 cable from the wall when you need to unplug the power cable. Don't unplug it from the console because you will be tempted to use both hands.
I registered just to reply to this topic. I have a SCPH-9002 could only find the IC310 Ic which i reheated with a heat-gun carefully. This actually resolved my problem. The console when switched on had no sound at all, later maybe 5 minutes in the sound came back intermittently. After power off no sound, on boot bios etc. After re-flow of IC sound back to normal.I didn't even have to use extra solder, just a bit of flux and pressure on the ic against pcb.

I also re flowed the AV lead solder points underneath the motherboard in case the AV joints were dry. To those i added extra solder to as the pitch was large and easily done.

Question is ic310 and ic305 same? just different numbering across motherboard revisions?