fashionably late to the party?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
blucco
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

fashionably late to the party?

Post by blucco » April 10th, 2012, 9:58 am

yes indeed. i was bored this afternoon so i looked around my closet for junk that might spark my interest. i came across my old psx, a pro action replay, and a parallel-to-usb cable. a little googling around and i realized i had most (if not all) of the fixings for a playstation development kit. i'm going to be fine-tooth-combing the net for any resources that might still be available for my soon-to-be hobby and this site seemed like a good spot to share some of my findings, as well as hopefully meet some more experienced playstation developers who might be able to help me out at various junctures along the way.

it's been a while since i've had the chance to learn something completely new, so i'm more than excited but less than prepared (i'm sure) for what i'm getting myself into. my knowledge of C is iffy and will require some definite work, and i've never worked with a dedicated platform. so here i come!

i will upload some pics of my rig in the near future. :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 10th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Welcome to PSXDEV. I hope to write up a guide soon for people who have an action replay, parallel cable and a PS1 so they can upload and write their very own first PlayStation executable. I will edit my post when the guide has been released ;)

*EDIT* Guide is done http://psxdev.net/help.html
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Yuri^Cybdyn
Verified
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer (MCU & FPGA)
PlayStation Model: 5502

Post by Yuri^Cybdyn » April 10th, 2012, 9:40 pm

i'm not sure, but usb->lpt doesnt work the same as lpt, it was actually made for printer's suppurting.

make pics.

also, what are you interesting about connection - load ps-exes? or launch games?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 10th, 2012, 9:49 pm

I think he means like this: http://jum.pdroms.de/PSX/psxdevstart.html
He wants to make games or experiment using the PS1, Action Replay (with CAETLA) and a Parallel Cable.
Should you need any files blucco, let me know :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.