Does Retro Game Dev (PS1) differ that much from modern game development and engines?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
ThomasEngine
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Does Retro Game Dev (PS1) differ that much from modern game development and engines?

Post by ThomasEngine » April 30th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Lately, I've been learning C and looking into creating games in an environment that's very barebones. I've felt as if the PS1 would be a great environment for this, so I can focus on learning the PSY-Q SDK and understanding how the process of building games works on a very small scale. I'd sit down and attempt to remake simple classics such as Tetris, Galaga, etc. to get a strong feel for the development process, learn what goes into an engine, etc.

My main concern is this: How applicable will any of this knowledge be to the modern game engines that we use today (Unity, Unreal, etc.) ? Should I just attempt to do this in Unity or Unreal instead of trying to utilize something retro?

kernex
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Software engineer & PSX enthusiast
PlayStation Model: SCPH-101

Post by kernex » May 11th, 2021, 4:25 am

In fact it is quite similar. I have no experience with Unity, but from what I saw on the internet, the development concept does not differ much.

Actually, the development process is much easier with Unity, for example. Today's game engine have a very high tool integration. High-level languages...

On PSX the development is low level. In fact, PSYQ is not a game engine, but a set of libraries that abstracts the hardware and allows you to make drawings on the screen.

On PSX to rotate an object you can do the follow:

MATRIX mtx;
SVECTOR ro = {0,0,2048};//180 degrees on Z axis;
GsDOBJ2 object;

GsGetLw(obj.coord2,&mtx);//calculate the world matrix for the object.
RotMatrix(&ro, &mtx);//set the rotation for the matrix.
object.coord2->coord = mtx;//update the object's matrix.
object.coord2->flg = 0;//indicates that object's matrix has been updated.
GsGetLs(obj.coord2,&mtx);//calculates the screen matrix for the object.
GsSetLsMatrix(&mtx);//set the new screen matrix for the GTE.

On Unity to rotate an object you can do the follow:

GameObject object;
object.transform.Rotate(0.0f, 0.0f, 180.0f, Space.Self);//Internally, Unity calculates the world and the screen matrices and apply to the object.

I hope I answered your question.