Need help getting into PS1 developing

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
kernex
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Software engineer & PSX enthusiast
PlayStation Model: SCPH-101

Re: Need help getting into PS1 developing

Post by kernex » April 28th, 2021, 11:39 pm

The best way to start is looking at code examples. Here in forum, there's many examples. Also, LIBOVR46.pdf and LIBREF46.pdf is crucial to understand how PSX works.

MottZilla
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by MottZilla » May 14th, 2021, 1:12 pm

EleanorGrace wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:04 am I've always wanted to get into PS1 game development, but there's nothing I can find to help me begin, not even the basics. I can learn C (heck, even Assembly) if needed and I can code in stuff like Pascal, JavaScript, Python and C#, so programming isn't an obstacle.

Are there any docs or just anything to help me get started? Sorry for a not-totally-specific question.
I would suggest going to the Downloads section here and getting the Psy-Q SDK. Then get Oracle VM VirtualBox and make a Windows XP installation to setup Psy-Q on. You can get some instructions here: http://psxdev.net/help.html

You're familiar with programming so once you get something set up and compiling you can refer to examples included with Psy-Q or looking in the included Reference Docs to figure out how to do most things. The Help page has a guide to do a Hello World program.

Beyond that you'd need to be more specific about what you need help with.

Xeauron
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: PSX Dev / Learner
PlayStation Model: SCPH 5502

Post by Xeauron » June 24th, 2021, 7:46 am

I would advise starting off with the Net Yaroze SDK - it along with the documentation was created with beginners in mind. There are archives of the yaroze website you can read through which contains explinations and examples. Once you've got the Yaroze SDK down then moving onto the PsyQ SDK or PS N00b SDK should be relatively easy.

While Yaroze is limited in its functionality, its fine for getting to grips with the format the console expects everything to be in, and how the architecture works.

I'm working my way towards getting 3D up and running on Yaroze having worked out backgrounds, sprites, animation, SFX and Music. And I've had a blast doing so. I recommend getting yourself a PSIO as the debugger will be up and running at some point hopefully soon which is an essential tool for developing anything significant.