SCPH-1000 Not trying to read discs - freezing at main menu

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
PSX_ISO
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

SCPH-1000 Not trying to read discs - freezing at main menu

Post by PSX_ISO » February 8th, 2021, 6:51 am

I'm back, here is another SCPH-1000 (PU-7) that I purchased as a for parts which simply seemed like it had a bad laser. Nope, it has some major issue.

Turns out that while it does spin the disk, other than the laser going up and down it does not even really try to read the disc. It varies in how long it will spin the disc. I used a verified working laser assembly from another console, same issue.

More so, I believe the problem is related to the motherboard - not the actual laser. When it boots into the main menu (CD Player + Memory Card screen) input briefly works for one second. Afterwards no input is registered until ~20 seconds passes, then there is another one second window were input is registered. In the memory card utility screen there are no problems. The same problem exists in the CD music player utility.

I'd really like to fix this intermediate freezing issue.

What's been done:

- Adjusting bias/gain using the available guides

- Simple chip reflow on the top of the motherboard, specifically focusing on the two CD chips along with the DRAM

- Verified voltages in a few areas, fuses, transistors etc. All look good.

- Tried another controller/memory card assembly. Same issue

Useful Links:

In depth PS1 repair guide in French: https://www.jonathandupre.fr/articles/1 ... scph-1002/

Laser Adjustment: http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LaserAlignment/Laser.html

More repair info: http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/Playstation%20Service%20manual.pdf

PU-7 chip identification: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sony+Pl ... 89#s250690

PSX_ISO
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by PSX_ISO » February 9th, 2021, 6:53 am

Cancel this. I fluxed/reflowed the GPU/CPU. Turned on with the same issue but I pressed down on the CPU/GPU and the screen went black. Haven't been able to get it back since. I'm packaging up and the SCPH-1000 is simply a conversation piece now. I love the PSX, may buy a new model but I am abandoning the SCPH-1000. I'm over $250 USD in these things. I probably will just buy the $40 USA SCPH-1001 model at my local used video game store... Maybe even use the SCPH-1000 case.

Thanks for looking and all the help (from my previous sound issue thread)! I am now moving onto a PS2 :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 12th, 2021, 10:43 am

When you pressed on the GPU/CPU, you shorted something and blew a fuse. Best to replace the motor controller since those things are known to blow (usually from disc swapping since it pulls excessive current when the spindle motor has stalled).
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

PSX_ISO
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by PSX_ISO » February 20th, 2021, 4:01 am

Shadow wrote: February 12th, 2021, 10:43 am When you pressed on the GPU/CPU, you shorted something and blew a fuse. Best to replace the motor controller since those things are known to blow (usually from disc swapping since it pulls excessive current when the spindle motor has stalled).
Most likely yes, something blew. I see from your other thread you mentioned it was poor coding as the disc drive is not being detected.

I tried to search and cannot find with the motor controller is. What/where is it. Any suspicion on which fuse blew?

Thanks