Extracting custom container (.DAT) package from disc

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by DD-Indeed » August 27th, 2020, 3:45 am

Squaresoft74 wrote: August 27th, 2020, 3:13 am @DD-Indeed
Since i'm not sure when i'll get some time to try to fix my driver, I've just patched the game so it will play Bgm08-00CB on title screen and did a recording from real hardware for now.
You can convert the other tracks to .wav using the PSF files and Duckstation if you want to update your YT channel with this soundtrack in the meantime. :)

The soundtrack is now finished, I worked this out today since I had a feeling that the track you now posted was broken, and it was :D Those fast cello patterns are clearly broken when comparing to PC version, so I left the original fast version into the video. I used foobar2000 with PSF driver to extract these out to WAV and then did the video with high bitrate for audio to keep the music as uncompressed as possible.

Huge thanks to you and @Yagotzirck for working with this, you are credited on the description from this work.

I'm not sure that will you enjoy this after the painful time you have been going through this, but I'll say it anyway: Enjoy! :D

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » August 27th, 2020, 4:57 am

Good job everyone 8-)
As for the track at 24:19, you might want to re-listen to the experiment I tried in this post; though, given that it's a leftover track, there's probably no way to make it sound 100% correct (even more so if we consider that not even the used tracks hardly play correctly in-game :D)

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » August 27th, 2020, 4:59 am

Yagotzirck wrote: August 27th, 2020, 4:57 am Good job everyone 8-)
As for the track at 24:19, you might want to re-listen to the experiment I tried in this post; though, given that it's a leftover track, there's probably no way to make it sound 100% correct.

That sounds quite muddy compared to the actual extracted track, but it has thas greasy synth sound present, everything else seems to be broken too :D

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » August 27th, 2020, 5:04 am

Yeah, but at this point I'd say to consider this project done and call it a day, this game already got way more attention than it deserves :lol:
Was fun removing a little bit of rust nonetheless :)

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » August 27th, 2020, 5:06 am

Exactly, project finished, no need to use your time to this anymore, you too @Squaresoft74, stop! :D

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » August 27th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Even if the game is buggy as hell i'm not really happy with the current driver state.
But if that's fine for your needs then i'll just put it on hold for now and eventually get back to it a later point just for my own satisfaction. :D

Was a fun project anyway so i guess i'll try my luck with other games using XM tracks. :mrgreen:

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » August 28th, 2020, 1:14 am

Well if you wanna finish it on your own, might do as well, nothing against that :D But for me, this project is done and rest is just polishing some stuff and perhaps fixing the songs/samples. Thanks for your help, there's still plenty of XM music on PS1 games, but well continue on another forum, if you got the PM and wanna join us.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » August 28th, 2020, 1:30 am

As i said to Yagotzirck, i'd still be glad to try helping with ripping some other sequenced games if you have some titles to suggest.

I just can't really guarantee to be much active on other boards. :)

*EDIT*
Boom !
Got the playback speed fixed.
Hackish for now, until i can investigate more and update the whole set with a proper driver. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Squaresoft74 on August 28th, 2020, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » August 28th, 2020, 5:04 am

It definitely goes into right direction, but the cello parts are still broken melodically. It could be that they tried to port the PC songs into PS1 environment but butchered some of them, so they composed new stuff for it and left these into the disc.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by Squaresoft74 » August 28th, 2020, 11:03 am

Can't get any better from the raw files i'm affraid. :(

Here's the updated wip set with the tempo fixed and playback volume set to max (0x7F instead of 0x40 previously).
I may update it later again to add tracks specific reverb depth.
Enjoy ! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chandkumar3g
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by chandkumar3g » January 23rd, 2021, 12:43 am

I tried decompressing a few entries but they were mostly .TIM images; once I finalize the extractor and fully automate the process we'll see if we can retrieve .SEQ files as well :)

SCPH-1002
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by SCPH-1002 » January 29th, 2021, 1:33 am

At this point I'd like to mention the Konami DAT Extractor, it probably works on your DAT files to.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » April 14th, 2021, 3:01 am

Konami DAT Extractor didn't work, still a mystery. When using VGMToolbox, that can extract only the VH and VB files, from which VB contains instrument samples and other audio samples. Been a while since looking into this, so I may have already mentioned about that :D