SCPH-1001 weird PCB module

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
lilkuz2005
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

SCPH-1001 weird PCB module

Post by lilkuz2005 » July 9th, 2020, 6:16 am

hello all, i have a SCPH-1001 that i purchased a long time ago, i opened it up to wire in a MM3 chip and found it had some sort of module that had been soldered onto the bottom of the board, i took a pic of the motherboard to make my own MM3 install diagram, can anyone tell me what this module is for? im not sure if it came from the factory this way or was it some modification? any help with this would be awesome Image

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » July 15th, 2020, 7:16 pm

It's an official modification carried out by Sony. There were some TVs (notably some Zenith models) that didn't like the sync the PlayStation produced and that board changed the way the composite sync was produced to fix the problem.

If you phoned up the service line and complained that the image on your TV was rolling or jumping they asked you to send the console back to them and they installed that board. There are allegedly some TVs that don't like the signal with it installed, but I've never seen any of them.

lilkuz2005
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by lilkuz2005 » July 17th, 2020, 5:18 pm

TriMesh wrote: July 15th, 2020, 7:16 pm It's an official modification carried out by Sony. There were some TVs (notably some Zenith models) that didn't like the sync the PlayStation produced and that board changed the way the composite sync was produced to fix the problem.

If you phoned up the service line and complained that the image on your TV was rolling or jumping they asked you to send the console back to them and they installed that board. There are allegedly some TVs that don't like the signal with it installed, but I've never seen any of them.
hey TriMesh, thanks for the reply, i asked about this board in the discord #hardware channel and was told the same thing, i guess its pretty rare, i haven't seen one before.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » July 22nd, 2020, 11:11 am

lilkuz2005 wrote: July 17th, 2020, 5:18 pm hey TriMesh, thanks for the reply, i asked about this board in the discord #hardware channel and was told the same thing, i guess its pretty rare, i haven't seen one before.
Yeah, I think by the time the PlayStation came out the TVs that used the specific sync separator circuit that had a problem were quite old, and hence it didn't affect many people. Probably the reason it got through compatibility testing without being noticed in the first place.