New KSM-440BAM requires service?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
mejiromonk
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

New KSM-440BAM requires service?

Post by mejiromonk » June 10th, 2020, 10:47 am

I recently acquired a USA-made REVISION C SCPH-1001. Inside I found a modchip, and, a likely stock KSM-440ACM.

Some FMVs were skipping, a notable one being BLASTO's intro sequence. MORTAL KOMBAT MYTHOLOGIES would only get to the black PLAYSTATION-logo screen. MK MYTHOLOGIES WOULD work 10/10 times by flipping the console upside down. EXTREME GAMES, however, worked fine.

So I ordered a KDM-440BAM from TOTALCONSOLE. I thought that for older PSX models adjustments were require, namely, to the potentiometer. But the electronics shop I planned to have service my console have worked on PSXs in the past. They questioned if any adjustments were needed, and suggested that I plug the lens in, and see what happens.

Sure enough, it worked, booting CRASH BANIDCOOT up on my first try. BLASTO no longer skips. However, MORTAL KOMBAT MYTHOLOGIES, still refuses to load, going to the BIOS screen, instead of locking on the black PSX-logo screen. A few other games also went to the BIOS. However turning the console upside down again makes the games work, MK mythologies included. Note that when it boots to BIOS, the disk is not spinning.

Does it sound like lens-related services are needed to get the console function properly? (A console that I need to turn upside down to get working properly I do not view as functioning properly).

Could the modchip be effecting performance? I am not sure which one it is, but it does seem old and I want to remove it. BIOHAZARD 3 can detect it and shutdown the game. Meanwhile, SPYRO 1, which I thought had copy protection, does not detect it.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm

The sled tracks are worn. New lasers do not exist, they are refurbished units.
The laser requires an increase in laser power slightly for reading CD-R's.
Save yourself the hassle and get a PSIO Cartridge when they are back in stock.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

mejiromonk
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by mejiromonk » June 10th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Shadow wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm The sled tracks are worn. New lasers do not exist, they are refurbished units.
??? You, yourself, wrote that they are new old stock in this thread:

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... MBERIpWzyQ
Shadow wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm The laser requires an increase in laser power slightly for reading CD-R's.
Save yourself the hassle and get a PSIO Cartridge when they are back in stock.
I never wrote that I was running CD-Rs. All discs are original NTSC U/C. I am trying to restore an old console, not play backups.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 10th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Ah, depends when you bought it from but if that's the seller with the hard to find 'new old stock' then yes those should be brand new still.

Okay, you need to adjust the laser then. Do the eye pattern calibration routine with an analog scope.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.