Hello from ps80

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
ps80
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Hello from ps80

Post by ps80 » December 31st, 2019, 5:57 am

I joined a while ago and didn't get round to posting. I thought I'd post here and say hello, so my account doesn't get deleted for having no posts.
I found this site years ago and had never got round to joining as I thought progamming on the Playstaion looked too complicated, but I've followed some of the guides and look at the source codes people have posted and I've managed to get some basic tests working.

Rubber131186
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Very Amateur Programmer, Gamer.
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Rubber131186 » December 31st, 2019, 10:42 am

Hiya ps80, i'm learning how to make games on the ps as well, I thought i would go down the Net Yaroze path first. There is a copy of the Official Net Yaroze site archived with lots of example code. I bought a Net Yaroze Playstation, but after some research I found out you can turn any grey playstation into a Net Yaroze, if it has a parallel port you can flash a cheat cartridge so you can boot burned games or a patched copy of the Net Yaroze Boot Disc and send code over via serial cable. (need to make the cable yourself)

I followed the hello world example in the help section tonight but there is a few errors in the guide. I managed to get a sprite example code for the Net Yaroze into an ps.exe and burn it to disc that booted fine.

I'm using Windows 10 64bit i have Virtualbox set up with windows xp and PSY-Q SDK set up.

whats is your setup?

ps80
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ps80 » January 2nd, 2020, 3:28 am

I have a PC running Windows XP for coding on. I've not looked at using Yarose, I went straight to psyq. I'll probably have a look at Lameguy64's SDK soon, as I followed the excellent tutorial on Lameguy64's site and it really helped me with getting Tim files loaded and working, which lead to animated sprites and starting on a 2D tile based platform game. I really never thought I would get as far as I have, but this site has really helped. I'm still at a very basic level of understanding C, working in 2D, but at least I can now get something loading on my PlayStation.

I use MCLaunch 1.1 to copy the exe to memory card and test games on my PlayStation or burn a disc. I really need to make a cable a some point and get that way of loading to console working.

Rubber131186
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Rubber131186 » January 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

What is LameGuy64's site? The one on his profile lameguy.tk isn't working for me. I think you're way more advanced then me. I haven't wrote any code yet or modified any example code. I'm just getting used to sending code to the playstation, and converting the code, contents and files to a PS-Yaroze.exe but it wont work on a standard PS so it has to be converted to a standard PS.exe

MCLaunch 1.1 wow didn't know there was something like this on the ps1 just thought it was free mc boot on the ps2. MCLaunch supports EXEs up to 112 KB

If you do ever want to build a cable check out this post :- http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1071

ps80
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ps80 » January 6th, 2020, 3:02 am

Should be this

http://lameguy64.tk/?page=tools

Works for me. The tutorial link is at the bottom of that page.

Rubber131186
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Rubber131186 » January 12th, 2020, 10:15 am

Thanks for the link. The login caught me out, I tried to dive straight in and was greeted with a login page.

ps80
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ps80 » June 20th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I thought I'd have a go at doing some 3D code. It took me a week or two to work out how to get clipping and near division to work with my code, but I've managed to put together a very basic First Person Shooter demo. It's small enough to fit on a memory card so I can use MCLaunch 1.1 to test it on real hardware. It's tile based, with collision detection, very basic enemy movement, with the ability to shoot and pickup items (health and ammo). I've borrowed some sprites from spriters-resource.com for now but at some point I'll try to replace them with my own.

FPS 02.JPG
I wasn't sure how to attach an image, I hope this works and is OK to do like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 22nd, 2020, 7:26 pm

That's really neat! What a nice little DOOM clone :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

ps80
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by ps80 » June 24th, 2020, 7:06 am

Thanks. I'd like to share the exe so others can have a go. What would be the best section to start a thread in? It's under 112kb at the moment as it fits on a memory card, so can I attach the file in a thread like I did my image above?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 28th, 2020, 4:35 am

Put it in "Work Logs / Projects" -> http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=62
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.