PSX Low Poly Character Animation

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
twinspectre
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

PSX Low Poly Character Animation

Post by twinspectre » October 23rd, 2019, 5:39 am

Hi all, Since i love the ps1 3d models and their animation I wonder how did they archive such majestic 32 bit low poly character animation, did they use rig bones or they did everything individually.
And I wonder if it is possible to replicate this piece of art with Blender on a brand new model.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » October 23rd, 2019, 11:46 am

It depends from game to game. Many PS1 games use a bone style system but the models are modeled in a way that each articulating part is its own 3D model, so they have a bit of an action figure look. There have also been games that used a bone style system that manipulates vertices of the model so they don't have that action figure look, but they are not very common I think likely because it is the slowest to process on the PS1 and complicated to implement.

Vertex keyframe animations are fairly common, sometimes interpolated so the animations look smooth or not which gives Quake-like model animations. Vertex keyframes have the advantage of being easiest to implement and allows greater freedom in animating the model (example: the amusing death animations in Crash 2 and 3), but it takes up a lot of space. The Crash games compresses the keyframes by only storing vertex deltas of each keyframe, which takes up less space than storing whole keyframes.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.