The PlayStation Audio Thread

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Logan Jones
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Retro Gamer/Anime/Movie Fan/Artist
Motto: Sega is my mistress.
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

The PlayStation Audio Thread

Post by Logan Jones » August 17th, 2019, 1:40 am

I've always been fascinated with the sound and music from classic game systems. Over a year ago I discovered that hardware inside a game console can greatly alter how the final audio output will sound. This can be due to the frequency, filtering, amplification, or a whole host of things.

The Sony PlayStation is no exception. For the longest time I thought that CD audio was in its most authentic form when ripped straight from the disc. However, as Sega aficionado "Ace" described to me, even CD or even DVD based systems can greatly alter through the hardware how the streamed audio from the CD will be outputted. Ripping audio from CD based game is most authentic when recorded from original hardware, especially if its an older system like the PlayStation.

In this thread I myself as well as others would like to learn all there is to know about PlayStation audio; how it sounds different from typical CD audio, the best ways to hear it, and the best ways to record it.

In short, this thread will be a discussion of all things about the sound of the Sony PlayStation!