Music swapping for Spyro: Year of the Dragon [US 1.1] ?

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Martyste
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Music swapping for Spyro: Year of the Dragon [US 1.1] ?

Post by Martyste » April 30th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Hey everyone!
A friend of mine recommended me this website to look further into PS1 modding, and therefore I come with a quite specific request, as I have not found anything done yet on that matter.
See, as an European, I grew up playing with the PAL version of Spyro 3, more precisely the "Platinum" version. Some of you may know already that Spyro 3 initially didn't released with all of its songs, and they were only added in the Greatest Hits release in the NTSC region.
While some of the newly added tracks are nice, I am unable to enjoy most of them when playing GH, as a few tracks are nothing but lazy remixes, imo. So, here's the thing: if I play the PAL version, I can enjoy all the musics the way I see them fit. But, I lack one thing that makes the NTSC version still quite interesting to play, that is the 30 FPS, compared to PAL's 25. You won't believe how much of a difference these 5 frames can make.

Here's my request, said in a simple way: Could we mod Spyro 3 GH edition so it plays its soundtrack identically to the Platinum version?
I have been looking into changing the music contained in the SPEECH.STR file, but problems came very fast: the tools available cannot access more than 7 out of the 38 tracks, and changing any of them won't make the game change the amount of music it plays before looping. If the modded in track is shorter, you'll have to hear some silence...

So, I suppose this method isn't leading me anywhere close to my goal. I believe that somewhere in the code, we could change what music is played for which level, maybe even in plain Hex editing, but now I have no idea how to achieve that.
My hopes lay whithin your hands, proud modders of the PSXDEV community! :praise

Eagerly waiting for your opinions/ideas,
Martyste