Hi! New Here, Trying to Make a 3D Game

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
Mechaffinity
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Hi! New Here, Trying to Make a 3D Game

Post by Mechaffinity » November 27th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Hey! So, I followed the tutorial, got the standard "Hello World" stuff working in a PS1 emulator but searching through some of the forum entries and the downloadable files it looks like I'd have to go the whole hog and make my own game engine to actually make a homebrew game?

I have some coding experience, though it's not my speciality, I'm primarily a game designer so making an entire game engine by myself seems a bit... excessive for what I'm trying to do.

What I'd be trying to make would just be a simple walking around a 3D environment and talking to people kind of game, nothing too fancy. But the tutorials here seem to only go as far as getting "Hello World" to display in an emulator and everything under the "Homebrew" section is 2D so I was wondering if there were any tutorials for moving around in a 3D space or any open-source engines or anything like that?

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » November 28th, 2018, 12:08 am

there was a 3D tutorial for the Net Yaroze back in the days, but I can't find it on the internet right now.
If you can only find 2D homebrew tutorials, it's because making a 3D game on the Playstation require quite some skills and understanding of the specific 3D hardware of the Playstation
(which have nothing in common with the standard 3D of modern computers)
Last edited by Orion_ on November 30th, 2018, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

Mechaffinity
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Mechaffinity » November 28th, 2018, 1:41 am

Well, I searched through the forums and I found someone who's made something of a 3D engine here https://github.com/Kannagi/LMP3D

It's just a 3D model T-posing in a void, but I'm gonna try picking it apart later and see what I can do. My idea's so simple I'd pretty much just need a model, a movement system, and some kind of hitbox mechanic or something similar.

Tbh, finding tutorials at all has proven difficult so far, but that was to be expected when I'm trying to develop for a console that's scarcely younger than I am lol.

Mechaffinity
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Mechaffinity » November 28th, 2018, 2:28 am

I've had a go at picking it apart but I really don't know where to begin tbh.

NITROYUASH
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Game Designer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by NITROYUASH » November 28th, 2018, 3:18 am

Textured 3D model (TMD) example
Textured 3D geometry example + fog + LOD's + Draw Distance
Good examples for start.

And Psy-Q SDK have some examples too (it's hard to me).

Mechaffinity
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Mechaffinity » November 28th, 2018, 5:24 am

Ooooh, thanks Nitroyuash, you're a star! I was worried I'd have to give up and just make my game in Unity and make it /look/ like a PS1 game or something lol. I'll have a go at dissecting these and seeing where I can get with it. Thank you so much!

Mechaffinity
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Mechaffinity » December 28th, 2018, 5:07 am

Follow up from this, I got a basic movement system working and stuff, one thing I don't know is how to set up hitboxes on objects. I could make a workaround if need be since my game is pretty simple, but it would be nice if there were some example out there with working hitboxes.