Hello All!

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
WolfCorp
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Overmars Disciple

Hello All!

Post by WolfCorp » October 26th, 2018, 12:53 am

Hello everyone! :mrgreen:
I'm new to this community and to PSX programming in general.

I'm mostly experienced with the GML language (used in the Game Maker engine), I've got a bunch of experience with Unity's C#, also some meddling around with C++ and I know a tiny bit of C.

I want to enhance my programming skils and I always dreamt to develop something either for the NES or the Playstation 1 system.
I tried to do what the Help section of Psxdev told me to do, in regard to the whole setup and "hello world" things.
BUT! I cannot get any emulator to run the example .exe generated by the cpe2x of main.cpe (the hello world example code). I tried it in various VMs, such as Windows NT, Windows 7 and I've now set up the pre-configured XP machine, but PS7 always throw strange errors and crashes upon loading the exe, no matter which VM I use.

I would really like to do something in PSX programming, but I can't get it to work either way. :shrug
Sorry for the presentation + help post, but it was really a thing I wanted to put off my chest.

Thank you all.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 26th, 2018, 1:08 am

Hello and welcome.

sounds like you are part way there if you have compiled the EXE.. but what are you trying to actually run the EXE file in? Ignore the fact that it is called an EXE, you cant run it in Windows - you need to load the EXE into a PlayStation Emulator like no$psx etc..

WolfCorp
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfCorp » October 26th, 2018, 1:19 am

I did, Dan. I run it on PS7, PSX 1.13 and epsxe. But it doens't work on any of them.
EDIT: The EXE won't run on any emulator (doesn't work on Windows NT, Windows 7 or XP.)
P.S: my host machine is Windows 10. I run XP with Virtual Box.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 26th, 2018, 2:17 am

I only ever use no$psx, which worked fine for me. It has a lot more debugging information so it should be easier to see where its going wrong - it supports loading EXE's so should be fine.

If your build output is correct, and you can covert it to an EXE without issue it should run fine.

WolfCorp
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by WolfCorp » October 26th, 2018, 3:00 am

Thank you so much Dan!
On no$psx the .exe runs perfectly. So glad you helped me. :clap
Thank you again, I wouldn't know what to do otherwise!

Gotta start with some real stuff from now on. :D

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » October 26th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Hi and welcome!
Good to see you got it going :clap