DIY Joypad using Arduino or some other MCU

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

DIY Joypad using Arduino or some other MCU

Post by danhans42 » February 27th, 2018, 12:29 am

Hi All,

I know there are quite a few projects around that use PS1/PS2 joypads for control, probably due to the protocol being reversed and the quality of the joypads.

My question is, has anyone ever achieved this the other way around? Does anyone know of any examples of someone actually making a PS1 pad from scratch?

I have a couple of those old Infoteam adapters that were used in the Kiosks... but they use an old PIC based MCU.

Thanks

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » March 6th, 2018, 2:32 pm

From what I can tell, the difficulty of using an Arduino to mimic PlayStation peripherals such as a controller is that the console communicates with such peripherals in a SPI like protocol and it generates its own sync pulses at 7KHz which might be real tricky to work with on a Arduino if it is not fast enough to keep up with the pulse rate.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.