trying to get PSXSERIAL to work

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
yellow_orb
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: Enthousiastic Coder/Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

trying to get PSXSERIAL to work

Post by yellow_orb » July 17th, 2017, 11:26 pm

hi,

I got a ps1 SCPH-7502 recently with a SIO and PIO port, I didn't want to buy a 'playstation 1 link cable' off eBay for a ridiculous price so I man-hacked my own playstation serial cable with some cat5 networking cable cheap and now I got it working
with the 'the home of the hitmen' serial cable on a breadboard.

I burned the PSXSERIAL v1.4 program to a PSX-CDROM and all seems to be working ok, but when I send MAIN.EXE to the playstation using the PSXSERIAL win32 program, all I get on the ps1 screen is 'STANDING BY....' and 'COMMUNICATING WITH PC' and then 'RECIEVING PROGRAM FROM PC' but no MAIN.EXE execution on the ps1.

I get the helloworld or 'hiworld' program to work in psxEven on my dual-core laptop and
various Playstation executables '.exe and .psx'

I had problems with STRIPISO 'error messages, etc', so I booted up the MS-DOS v3.3 floppy disk, and now STRIPISO works perfectly ok!, then I thought DOSbox would provide a better 'DOS Environment' than winXP SP3 would, and now STRIPISO works perfectly fine in DOSbox in winXP SP3 32-Bit!!!!

If anyone has the same problem with STRIPISO then DOSbox seems to be the fix!
If anyone needs the error message from STRIPISO i'll post it on the forums no worries!

I have a dual-core laptop running winXP SP3 32-BIT
and a AMD 64-Bit quad-core desktop i hand built with a serial and parallel port PCI card also running winXP SP3 32-BIT,

I'm using the AMD 64-Bit quad-core desktop pc to upload 'PSX Executables' to the ps1
since the serial port PCI card has flow-control, like 'RTS, CTS, DSR', etc

BTW, for any info, the dual-core laptop runs psxEven better than the quad-core,
on the quad-core psxEven won't run PSX Executables directly 'it crashes', but will run .iso or .bin images i compiled with the psyq SDK and PSX-CDROM mastering software i downloaded from psxdev perfectly fine.

I even compiled the SIO loopback code that runs at 9600 from the psxdev forum somewhere with the psyq SDK, then mastered it to a PSX-CDROM, burnt it, and tested it on my real psx console and that works perfectly fine too (loopback OK!) with my serialport monitor on my serial port PCI card pc and some trial and error.

My main problem is MAIN>EXE won't run on my ps1 when I send it using the PSXSERIAL PSX-CDROM and PSXSERIAL on my pc.
My main question is; do I need to compile the 'hiworld' project from psxdev, with more code, because iv'e seen someone say something like 'you need to compile your psx-executable ready for uploading' on the psxdev forum somewhere

I also burned the 'region changer' PSX-CDROM and run it before PSXSERIAL, but I've yet to trial-and-error the 'region changer' %100.

I live in melbourne. australia and recently bought my ps1 console 'pre mod chipped', I was wondering about region stuff that might be stopping the 'hiworld tutorial' MAIN>EXE from working.

I'll keep trial and erroring and post my findings on the forum.
my ps1 uses PAL and says made in Japan and is a SCPH-7502

If anyone needs details on anything i've talked about, let me know.
OK , Thanks guys.................

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 17th, 2017, 11:29 pm

What is MAIN.EXE and how big is it?
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

yellow_orb
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by yellow_orb » July 17th, 2017, 11:56 pm

MAIN.EXE is the 'hiworld' project from: http://www.psxdev.net/help/psyq_hello_world.html and is 36834 bytes long

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 18th, 2017, 1:34 am

Odd, should work fine then. Try ditching the RTS, CTS and DSR lines and just using Tx and Rx.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

yellow_orb
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by yellow_orb » July 18th, 2017, 1:53 am

ok, will try that at some point....

is there a pio port c library for psyq? or can I use inline assembly in the main.c?
is there a guide on psx pio port registers?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 18th, 2017, 2:07 am

No, you just access the port directly. Best to look at the PSEXE.COM source code or Action Replay source code.

yellow_orb
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by yellow_orb » July 18th, 2017, 2:36 am

can I connect the psx's pio directly to a pc paralell port?

yellow_orb
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by yellow_orb » July 18th, 2017, 3:23 am

Yes! i finally got it working! , i ditched the RTS, CTS and DSR lines from the psx end and PSXSERIAL now uploads MAIN.EXE perfectly! The 'hiworld' MAIN.EXE now executes on the realhardware psx!

I also downloaded the x86 asm source code for psexe.com! and the other site 'eurasia.nu' has the action replay source code.

Thanks Shadow! :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 18th, 2017, 3:37 am

yellow_orb wrote:can I connect the psx's pio directly to a pc paralell port?
No.
yellow_orb wrote:Yes! i finally got it working! , i ditched the RTS, CTS and DSR lines from the psx end and PSXSERIAL now uploads MAIN.EXE perfectly! The 'hiworld' MAIN.EXE now executes on the realhardware psx!

I also downloaded the x86 asm source code for psexe.com! and the other site 'eurasia.nu' has the action replay source code.

Thanks Shadow! :)
No problem! Good to see another fellow Australian on the PSX development side of things. Have fun :)

yellow_orb
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by yellow_orb » July 18th, 2017, 4:19 am

is the psxblaster project with the atmega or atmel IC the thing I need for PIO? is it avaliable yet?

are you from oz too?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 18th, 2017, 3:20 pm

The PSXBLASTER is vapourware.

Yeah, NSW.