Guide me about PSX Development

Post a topic about yourself to let others know your skills, hobbies, etc.
PrinceEjassa
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Guide me about PSX Development

Post by PrinceEjassa » June 28th, 2016, 1:28 am

I want to make a PSX game, I always wanted but I really don't know how to start, what software to use... I've been doing some big researches the last week and I think this is the place to ask.

I don't know how to program and I know I should start learning C before even asking but I would like to learn it and building the game at the same time. I've done plenty of custom stuff for other more modern games, like Counter-Strike Maps, AA:PR maps it's basically just level designing or skin modding, in which I really excel! But I want to do a PSX game, a fighting game in the style of the King of Fighters '95 which is one of my favorites PS1 games.

If anyone could show me link with tutorials, or even documentation (although I prefer tutorials) it would be helpful. I learn pretty fast and I like challenges, so I think it would be a great summer project for me.

I own a chipped SCPH-9002

Also it's 2016, I really good year to start developing on a 20 year old console :p

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » June 28th, 2016, 10:29 am

Unless you have a programming background, I wouldn't recommend it... at all :o
The C language, although very simple and basic compared to newer languages can get very low level and complicated quickly.
And game programming is complicated :crying

But if you insist, download some of the warez and start reading and making notes for a few months/years, setup up an old (Virtual) machine ie: winXP or win98.
I use no$psx, instead of hardware these days, it's quicker.

Then start coding a hello world, don't even try to understand 3D! :naughty

Here's some nice tutorials, http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/
But I doubt you would understand them, at this stage :roll:

Seriously tho look at unity3D.. you can export to windows UWP and upload it to a retail xbox one, in "Dev Mode"
You're getting into a world of hurt with the PSX :twisted:
Good luck.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 28th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

RetroPsx
BANNED
BANNED

Post by RetroPsx » November 18th, 2019, 10:54 pm

gwald wrote: June 28th, 2016, 10:29 am Seriously tho look at unity3D.. you can export to windows UWP and upload it to a retail xbox one, in "Dev Mode"
Good luck.
Hi

it's so cool as a method

can you tell me how to do it? from Xbox Image build

I want to know how to convert it to PSX format?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 19th, 2019, 3:01 pm

RetroPsx wrote: November 18th, 2019, 10:54 pm
gwald wrote: June 28th, 2016, 10:29 am Seriously tho look at unity3D.. you can export to windows UWP and upload it to a retail xbox one, in "Dev Mode"
Good luck.
Hi

it's so cool as a method

can you tell me how to do it? from Xbox Image build

I want to know how to convert it to PSX format?
Sorry but we're going to have to ban you for the second time. You're simply posting garbage on our forums and above all it was on a topic from 2016. We gave you a warning and you continued to do the same thing. Please do not create a third account since we will ban you again :naughty
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.